Become a Member

About Wilco

In 1967 five cooperatives merged to become Wilco Farmers and after more than three-quarters of a century in service. Wilco has evolved into the Northwest’s largest and most sophisticated Ag Supply Cooperative.  Today, Wilco serves the unique needs of over 500,000 customers with a member base of over 3,000 strong.  Wilco provides Agronomy, Petroleum, and Retail Farm Store services to both our member and non-member customers.  Our tradition of success and stability is largely due to unwavering loyalty and support of our members and the exceptional vision and guidance of our employees, management, and Board of Directors.

Wilco Core Values

We conduct our lives, our business, and our decision making through these core values:

  • Integrity: We base our reputation on being an integrity-based organization through honest behaviors, interactions, and standing behind our word.
  • Respect: We honor the human dignity of each person, communicating with courtesy and respect in both word and action with our internal and external customers.
  • Excellence: We are committed to providing quality products and services, hiring quality employees and supporting them to be the best they can be. We constantly raise the bar through constructive self-evolution and self-improvement and embrace challenges and change, understanding opportunity lies within both.
  • Accountability: We are accountable to customers, stakeholders, and fellow employees. We do what we say we will do. We measure with objectives and deadlines. Our employees are equipped to be successful.
  • Community: We recognize our responsibility within the community to respect and serve; taking actions that promote the common good.
  • Teamwork: We embrace participatory leadership, recognizing the synergy of people working together.

What is a Cooperative

A cooperative is an organization owned by and operated for the benefit of those using its services.  This group is comprised of members.  To be a member of the Wilco cooperative, you must be an agricultural producer.  As a member, you are one of the owners of the business.  Members earn patronage, have voting privileges, and can run for the Board of Directors.  During the Annual Meeting each year, three Board members are elected; by law, changes can be discussed and voted upon, and then a recap of the prior year is presented to the members.

How to qualify and become a member of Wilco:

  • You must be an Agricultural Producer:
    • File a Schedule F with your Individual Income Tax Return
    • Bear the risk of production and what’s produced for sale
    • If you qualify you must complete a membership packet which includes:
      • Membership Application
      • W-9
      • A check for $10.00 (initial Membership fee)

Once a Membership Application is completed and returned, the application is reviewed and voted on by the Board of Directors.  You will be notified by Customer Care upon approval or denial of the application.

What does it cost to become a member of Wilco?

  • The total Membership fee is $300.00
  • $10.00 is sent in with the member application and applied towards the membership fee
  • The remaining membership fee is deducted from your patronage at a rate of 10% annually until paid in full

As a member of Wilco, how do I receive earnings or equity?

  • Patronage is paid to members based on a percentage, which is calculated by the member’s annual purchases as a percent of total member purchases and then multiplied  by Wilco’s annual net income before tax
  • Typically, as determined by the Board of Directors, an annual cash payment to a member is 40% of the calculated patronage.  The remaining 60% is retained and held in patron equities, which is used for operating capital of the Cooperative and paid to members at some future date
  • The Board of Directors approves the amount of annual patronage paid and also determines the retirement (revolve) of patron equities based on the overall financial position of the Cooperative

Can patron equities be paid out before a Board determined revolving period?

  • Yes, but only upon the death of a member or legal dissolution of members’ business

Do members have any personal liability in the event of the failure of the cooperative?

  • No, Wilco is a cooperative corporation.  Unpaid equities in your name would be the only amount that would be at risk in the event of liquidation